Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Yoga With a Sense of Humor

It's true, sometimes we get lost in our quest for that ultimate moment of yoga and we need to be dragged out to have a good laugh. Here are a couple of ways to use your breath in a different way:

Someecards is a brand of e-cards known for their snarky sense of humor you can't help but love. They have cards for everything from Weddings to Bar Mitzvahs to Election Day and so much more. This, of course, includes some sassy cards about yoga that tickle us into laughing at ourselves.
















Next up is the website Recovering Yogi, which vows not to take itself or yoga too seriously. As the site's mission statement says, "Far from the land of meaningless manifestation, vacuous positivity, and noxious yoga speak lives Recovering Yogi." The site is chock full of hilarious plays on yoga stereotypes, and here are a few snippets of sharp Recovering Yogi wit.

From "Not To Sound Like a Bitch, But Your Class Was Totally Lame," by Shawn Radcliffe:

My name’s Stasia. I was in your class tonight. I love yoga. I’ve been doing it since I was eighteen. I used to ride horses, but that got lame real fast. Horses sweat and smell funny. Kind of like that guy in the corner in class? You should do something about him. Make him go to a beginner class. Or a midday class, because I don’t usually go to those, so it’s fine if he does.
I haven’t seen you at the studio before, so you must be a new teacher. Even though you’re kind of old. This is the first time I’ve taken your class, but I know enough about yoga to give you feedback. You don’t mind, do you? Of course you don’t. I mean, look at me; I’m hot and super-bendy. You’re lucky to just have me in your class.


From "Sri Darth Vader, Angry Yoga Teacher," by Matthew Teague Miller, Joslyn Hamilton, and Robert Fortune

And yet I was still mesmerized by Sri Vader and his forceful personality. I called upon the hologram image of Sri Yoda Yogi to ask his timeless advice. After many silent, knowing pauses, he whispered: “It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature of the yoga. He is your guru now.”

He turned to Sri Vader and conceded: “The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the yoga.”

And Vader replied, “The yoga is strong with this one,” pointing to me as I lay in savasana. His ujjayi breathing suddenly turned ragged and hoarse. Vader spoke: “You do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training, starting this Saturday, 9AM. The cost for the training is just $900! That’s a steal. Search your feelings; you know it to be true! We would be honored if you would join us.


When you have a chance to laugh between deep yoga breaths, be sure to check these sites out!

No comments:

Post a Comment