Monday, January 4, 2010

What are you waiting for?

Happy New Year to all!

As I sit and ponder 2010, I assess my current physical condition and the aches and pains brought on by age. I am in my forties and a regular yogi. As I set my goals, I only reinforce my conviction that after thirteen years of practicing Yoga is the closest thing I have found to the fountain of youth.

Like any regimen, consistency, dedication and patience are necessary to obtain your desired results. The difference is that on the physical side, yoga can not only keep you fit but over time it can reverse bio-mechanical issues in our body. Those issues being both hereditary and those obtained in life - from sport injuries to sitting too much.

That said, here's some food for thought as you make the big New Year’s Resolution.... Do you want to be the guy with the hunched over shoulders? Or the long distance runner who’s finishing his third knee surgery? How about the weekend softball player who’s sitting out the big game with a pulled hamstring?

So, you say, How do I get started? I can’t even touch my toes let alone keep up in one of those 90 minute classes! My answer to you is this: you didn’t get this way in one day or one year, so don’t expect to change it all in one class.

1.) First, find a place where you feel comfortable, a place where there are lots of classes all day long. As a busy New Yorker, you need a lot of scheduling choices so you can get to class even if you are stuck late at work.

2.) Second, find a place where you can get lots of personal attention, where the instructors are experienced and have several classes at times that work for you. Once you practice with the same teachers numerous times, they start to get to know your body and can make adjustments and corrections for you during class.

3.) Finally, get committed to practicing yoga at least three times per week. At most studios, If you sign up for an unlimited membership, it’s your most cost effective way to commit to your practice, and you are more likely to go if you commit. Immerse yourself in the practice and the process and you will start to: feel better mentally and physically, stand taller with better posture, be more nimble, be stronger and graceful.

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment